[gdal-dev] Patch for GDAL Web Mercator Issue / trac 3962

Michael Rosen mrosen at lizardtech.com
Thu Aug 29 14:30:50 PDT 2013

I considered the very same issue and opted for a pragmatic solution.  Here's my internal notes on this:

This approach seems consistent with what Frank W proposed<http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3962>:
"I am thinking that we should move to treating the pseudo-mercator projection method better in WKT, and tying the various systems together properly. Either use a custom projection like ESRI ("Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere") or introduce the "Auxilary_Sphere_Type" parameter to standard Mercator.
I'll note that some of the names are different than what EPSG-registry.org has to say about all this<http://www.epsg-registry.org/report.htm?type=selection&entity=urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::3857&reportDetail=long&title=&reportDetail=long&style=urn:uuid:report-style:default-with-code&style_name=OGP%20Default%20With%20Code&title=>.

-          I'd like to see ESRI recognize a Projection Name of "Pseudo_Mercator" and for GDAL to use this string instead of "Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere" since that's the alias used by EPSG. OTOH, if we leave it as Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere, then our fix would work for older versions of ArcGIS...

-          That the parameters are "central_meridian" and "standard_parallel_1" instead of "Latitude/Longitude of Natural Origin" seems wrong but that happens a lot comparing other GDAL/EPSG transforms.  For example we have exactly this mismatch with the Mercator_1SP projection method used by WGS84 / World Mercator (3395).  I think it would be ill-advised to push to change this.