[gdal-dev] Vector geospatial data format for massive quantities of (poly)lines

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Dec 9 13:49:39 PST 2013

Chris Hanson <xenon <at> alphapixel.com> writes:

>   An application my client is pursuing involves generating and displaying
linework (contours) for state-sized areas. These will be (among other
things) displayed via Geoserver.

>   We are able to generate the contour data with gdal, but the output is
now exceeding the 2GB format limit of Shapefiles.

>   I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a format or other
strategy for handling large data like this? I think in the end we may end up
breaking it up into tiles, but figured I'd ask first.

Hi,

Spatialite is flexible and fast and quite easy to create at least up to 10
GB db file size. However, Java and native Spatialite binaries are tricky to
put to play together. The Spatialite community module is probably easy to
install
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/community/spatialite/index.html but
it seems to use Spatialite version 2.4.0 while the current one is 4.1.0 and
I wouldn't recommend that.

However, Paul Ramsey is working on GeoPackage driver for GDAL and Boundless
is building a GeoPackage community module for Geoserver so perhaps the
answer is OGC GeoPackage, the shapefile of the hopefully near future.

-Jukka Rahkonen-