[gdal-dev] ISO WKB

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Dec 12 14:39:25 PST 2013

I’ve been looking over the code, and I think I can make importFromWkb consume ISO inputs with relatively minor changes. (during the geometry type determination in the concrete types, it looks easy enough to add a little logic to deal with ISO type numbers)
For exportToWkb, I’m wondering if maybe an optional parameter (wkbVariant?) that defaults to wkbVariantOGC would be sufficient?

It also seems the wkb reader/writer have little handling for empty geometry types. I’d like to add some in, if that’s OK.

Fortunately the only substantial difference for ISO WKB is the type number.

I’m starting an isowkb branch on my git repo to hold this piece of work, I don’t think it’ll be very big.

Then I’ll start asking about ‘m’ dimensions :)

P.

--
Paul Ramsey
http://cleverelephant.ca

On December 12, 2013 at 2:33:41 PM, Even Rouault (even.rouault at mines-paris.org) wrote:

Le jeudi 12 décembre 2013 21:36:42, Paul Ramsey a écrit :
> Hey all,
> Is there already a facility for writing out ISO-standard WKB in GDAL? The
> biggest difference is the wkbGeometryType number for the case of 3d
> features. OGR currently uses the old extended SFSQL adopted by PostGIS.
> ISO (naturally) did their own thing. As far as I can see, there’s no
> support there now, or is there? P.

Hi Paul,

no, there's no support for ISO WKB yet. We still stick to
http://home.gdal.org/projects/opengis/twohalfdsf.html

I can imagine we could have exportToISOWkb() method in OGRGeometry*. Or we
could add an extra boolean argument bISOWkb to the existing exportToWkb(). Not
sure about WkbSize() : does the size of ISO WKB blobs differ from the unofficial
WKB ?

Even

--
Geospatial professional services