[gdal-dev] ISO WKB

Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt pepijn at vaneeckhoudt.net
Fri Dec 13 02:18:53 PST 2013

On 13-12-13 00:24, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> The GeoPackage document actually specifies a representation for POINT
> EMPTY,  "In GeoPackages these points SHALL be encoded as a Point where
> each coordinate value is set to an IEEE-754 quiet NaN value".
I'm to blame for this one. It's specified in the GeoPackage spec because
it's not specified in SFSQL or SQLMM and I didn't want to leave this as
an unspecified part of the encoding.

The reason I pushed for the nan based encoding is that it provides an
encoding of 'point empty' that does not lose information. The
alternative of encoding it as null or multipoint empty changes the
semantics of the object. If you stick with the point wkb type then the
only option for special values is special double values. point(nan nan)
seemed like a reasonable approximation of point empty; a point where the
coordinates are not valid numbers.

If you think this is a bad idea or causes real difficulties in
implementation please let me know, I'll bring it up in the geopackage
swg then. Alternative solutions are also welcome of course.

Pepijn