[gdal-dev] Converting WGS84 Coords to UTM / GeoTiff Pixels with Python

Ryan J. Dillon ryanjamesdillon at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 05:36:59 PST 2013

Dear All,
I have data in (WGS84) latitude, longitude, and value format that I
would like to use the python gdal bindings convert to pixel units so
that I may interpolate the data to a grid.

I have found the following blog entry with code to do the former, but I
am receiving errors when running a small sample dataset. It appears that
the function for transforming WSG84 to UTM returns smaller UTM values
for the larger longitude values, which then leads to negative x
dimensions/columns/x pixel counts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've included a link to my code
that I have pasted on ideone for ease of viewing. Thanks!!!

Kindly,
Ryan

My edited version of lat/lon conversion code (I receive the same errors
with the original code):
http://ideone.com/CusKmZ

Converting lat/lon to pixels/geotiff blog entry:
http://monkut.webfactional.com/blog/archive/2012/5/2/understanding-raster-basic-gis-concepts-and-the-python-gdal-library/

The interpolation blog entry:
http://geoexamples.blogspot.com/2012/05/creating-grid-from-scattered-data-using.html