[gdal-dev] Most optimal algorithm for contour correctness?

Martin Feuchtwanger feumar at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 15 17:04:45 PST 2013

Nav,

I don't know about the gdal routines specifically, but:

 1. Re. dem/dtm generally, the most significant factor in interpolation
    results is the quantity (density, really) and quality of the source
    data, not the interpolation algorithm.
 2. Re. contours generally, they are cartographic artifacts, not
    geographic features and will never be more accurate than the source
    data (unless you know the data are very "noisy" and ought to be
    smoothed.
 3. Re. segments vs splines, it depends whether the segment end-points
    are fixed and only their interiors are shifted, or the corners are
    shifted to make them rounded and the interiors fixed. The former is
    much better since the end-points are "primary" interpolations (based
    on data) and the interiors "secondary" (based on primary). Smoothing
    out the contours (either way) will make them cartographically
    pleasing, but the degree of "curviness" should depend on the assumed
    ruggedness of the original terrain (more rugged => less smoothing).

Hoping that helps and that others will comment on the specific gdal
routines,

Martin Feuchtwanger  feumar at shaw.ca  604-254-0361
http://members.shaw.ca/geomatics.developer