[gdal-dev] gdal_polygonize and polygon edges

Jeff Lake admin at michiganwxsystem.com
Tue Feb 19 12:31:52 PST 2013

It all depends on the data your having gdal_polygonize contour ...

here is a snippet of what I'm doing with a csv I'm creating of current
weather

/usr/local/bin/gdal_grid -zfield "temp" -a
invdist:power=2.0:smoothing=1:nodata=-9999 -outsize 800 600 -l temp
/var/www/html/metar/temp.vrt /var/www/html/metar/temp.tif
python /usr/local/bin/gdal_polygonize.py /var/www/html/metar/temp.tif -f
"ESRI Shapefile" /var/www/html/metar/temp/temp.shp temp temp

and then the resulting shapefile is used to create the following
http://www.michiganwxsystem.com/maps/curfore/

I have messed around with the 'power' and 'smoothing' settings these
seem the remove the stair steps quite well

-Jeff Lake
MichiganWxSystem.com
AllisonHouse.com
TheWeatherCenter.net