[gdal-dev] gdal_polygonize and polygon edges

Graeme B. Bell grb at skogoglandskap.no
Wed Feb 20 07:26:54 PST 2013

"Graeme: Is your tracing technique a new algorithm different from
GDAL_Polygonize ? Is there a C/C++ code I can build or may be an .exe
utility I could use to try out ?"

It is not my technique. Dan's utils were written by some heroic figure known only as Dan Stahlke. I have no idea who he is, but I am glad that he exists. :-)

If you run the steps I mentioned in my previous email, you will see that you have downloaded a set of C++ files and that they were built into an executable. It should be possible to build on Windows, I haven't tried.

There is more information here, and you can download a zip.

https://github.com/gina-alaska/dans-gdal-scripts

For what it's worth: a linux server can be rented out for around $3-4 a month. If you don't have access to one, it might be a lot cheaper to rent a linux box and compile up the code quickly and easily, rather than spending time trying to make things work in windows.  lowendbox will give you a list of linux server vendors. If you are well funded,  e.g. linode might be a good choice.

Graeme.