[gdal-dev] gdalwarp producing rgb 0 0 0 for input nodata areas

Rick rick.wheeler at cna.nl.ca
Wed Feb 20 10:33:55 PST 2013

Hi all,
I have a set of ecw files that I wish to gdalwarp to a new coordinate system
and convert to jpg.

I have been using these commands:
gdal_translate in.ecw out_gt.tif -a_nodata none -of GTiff -co TFW=YES
gdalwarp -s_srs EPSG:26909 -t_srs EPSG:3005 -of GTiff -co TFW=YES -dstalpha
out_gt.tif out_warp.tif
gdal_translate -of JPEG -co "WORLDFILE=YES" out_warp.tif out.jpg

The first translate works as expected and the nodata values are preserved.
The gdalwarp command converts the nodata areas to 0,0,0.
The second translate works as expected and the nodata values are preserved.

I am using ArcGIS 10.1 to view the results.

How does one preserve nodata areas via gdalwarp?

My eventual goal is to merge these data sets but have a need for the interim
products to have the nodata areas.

Thanks