[gdal-dev] gdaladdo don't seem to work..

Pietro Rossin pierigis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 05:36:22 PST 2013

Hello Jukka
thanks for your reply
The axe file I think isn't necessary.
If I delete it qgis can open and use pyramids...
I got a good compromise between render and pyramid dimension with this
command

gdaladdo -r nearest --config COMPRESS_OVERVIEW deflate --config USE_RRD YES
test.tif 4 16 32 64

I get an aux file that is 420Mb (original gtiff is 1060Mb) and if I delete
the .axe file qgis recognizes pyramids.

the CCITTFAX4 compression method is good for the compression of the
original image not for pyramids, because with this algorithm pyramid zoom
is too dark. With deflate or jpeg the result is more pleasant.

By the way
--config USE_RRD YES should tell gdaladdo to create aux/rrd pyramids, that
can be used with esri product (ex arcgis)
Arcgis instead don't recognize these pyramids and asks if I want to create
them (and it can't because of an unknown error..).
Any idea?
Thanks again
Pietro