[gdal-dev] does gdal support multiple simultaneous writers to raster

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 10 17:32:50 PST 2013

Paul,

Generally speaking - no - GDAL does not now support multi-threaded
writing.  Part of this is due to the way stuff gets write-flushed out
of the block cache and partly it is just that none of GDAL supports
multiple threading on a single dataset.

This statement is based on the assumption it is all in one process.

If you want to run different processes with the output to a
pre-existing "fixed location" format like uncompressed GeoTIFF with
tiles that is all preinitialized to some real value then you could
certainly use one output file for many writers as long as case is
taken to not have multiple processes write to the same tile.  But GDAL
isn't doing anything to make this easy.

Best regards,
Frank