[gdal-dev] does gdal support multiple simultaneous writers to raster

Kennedy, Paul P.Kennedy at fugro.com.au
Fri Jan 11 17:38:55 PST 2013

Hi,
Yes, we are pretty sure we will see a significant benefit.  The processing algorithms are CPU bound not io bound. Our digital terrain model interpolations often run for many hours ( we do them overnight) but the underlying file is only a few gigabytes. If we split them into multiple files of tiles and run each on a dedicated process the whole thing is quicker, but this is messy and results in a stitching error.

Another example is gdalwarp. It takes quite some time with a large data set and would be. A good candidate for parallelisation, as would gdaladdo.

I believe slower cores but more of them in pcs are the future. My pc has 8 but they rarely get used to their potential.

I am certain there are some challenges here, that's why it is interesting;)

Regards
pk