[gdal-dev] GDAL WMS questions...

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 12:03:50 PST 2013

Hi,

I'm working with GDAL_WMS in 1.9.2 and have two questions.

1. Coordinate system

The documentation on http://gdal.org/frmt_wms.html lists both <SRS>/<CRS>
inside the <Service> element as well as <Projection> inside the root
element, <GDAL_WMS>.

What's the difference?  Both are defined simply as "Image projection."  Is
there further information somewhere besides this page?

2. Tiles

I don't understand why or when I'd use a tiled vs. untiled request.  If I'm
interested in a JPEG or PNG from a particular server covering a particular
area in a particular coordinate system, why would I choose one over the
other?  Again, if this is explained elsewhere in the documentation, please
point me there.

Thanks very much,

carl