[gdal-dev] problems converting gdb to shp

Tyler Mitchell tyler.mitchell at actian.com
Thu Jan 31 12:49:03 PST 2013

Hi Sarah,

Be sure to quote "ESRI Shapefile" or it will use "shapefile" as the output filename.

Since Shapefile is default, you can remove the -f ... stuff altogether to simplify.

As far as I can tell that's your main problem there.  I don't have a GDB install to test against though.

Tyler

On 2013-01-31, at 12:30 PM, Sarah Zatko wrote:

> I’m trying to use the –where command in ogr2ogr (1.9.0) to separate out different geometry types, as was described in the FAQ for converting gdb to shp files, but when I do the following command
>
> Ogr2ogr.exe -f ESRI Shapefile points.shp input.gdb -a_srs EPSG:4326 -nln points -where 'ogr_geometry="POINT"'
>
> it thinks that the –where… part of the command is the name of a gdb layer.
>
> I tried moving the –where part of the command earlier, to before the –f argument, but then it just hangs and doesn’t complete at all.
>
> Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong here?
>
> Also, when I try to go from shapefile to geodb in Windows, it only works if I’m running as administrator.  Is that just a requirement?  It doesn’t require root in Linux.

Tyler Mitchell
Engineering Director
Actian Corporation
tyler.mitchell at actian.com