[gdal-dev] closing file descriptors when using python bindings and HDF5 datasets

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 04:33:55 PDT 2013

Hi all

I am working with HDF5 files and the python bindings to GDAL. I can't seem
to get Python to close the file descriptor whenever I open an HDF5.

It seems to work fine when I use a geotiff, but not with HDF5.

I am using GDAL 1.9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04. I think this is a bug but I'd like
some confirmation, and guidance on how I can I work around this issue. I am
running a script that reaches a Too many open files' error because of this.

I am providing some sample files in [1]. The zip archive contains:
- an HDF5 file (sample1.h5)
- a geotiff file (sample2.tif)
- a python script that just opens and closes the files and outputs
information on open file descriptors (test_open_files.py)

Thanks

[1] - http://ubuntuone.com/6NyUkRjwB98j6HkZT90CZZ