[gdal-dev] Call for discussion for "RFC 41 : Support for multiple geometry fields in OGR"

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 06:41:08 PDT 2013

On Jul 24, 2013, at 7:49 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a call for discussion for "RFC 41 : Support for multiple geometry
> fields in OGR" :
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc41_multiple_geometry_fields
>
> As an introduction, you'll find below the first paragraphs of the RFC. Much more
> to read at the above link !
>
> == Summary ==
>
> Add read/write support in the OGR data model for features with multiple
> geometry fields.

Impressive, logical, complete, and verbose.

The only small addition I might suggest is a driver capabilities flag to announce whether or not it has multiple geometry field support. It could simply be the driver that has not been updated to support multiple geometry fields or the fact that the driver's model itself doesn't fit the idea of multiple geometry fields. In either case, it would be good to be able to ask.

Howard