[gdal-dev] Call for discussion for "RFC 41 : Support for multiple geometry fields in OGR"

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Wed Jul 24 13:23:14 PDT 2013

Am Mittwoch, 24. Juli 2013, 16.07:49 schrieb Andreas Neumann:
> I can't comment about the technical issues. But from a user point of
> view there is a need to have more than one geometry representation per
> feature. There could be several generalizations attached to a feature,
> or different states.
>
> I would welcome such a feature in OGR.
>
> I guess Swisstopo also has a specific use case in mind since they
> sponsor the work. Do you know which?

This RFC is part of a contract with Swisstopo to support multiple geometries
in Interlis. We considered a workaround like the one implemented for PostGIS,
but came to the conclusion, that only extending OGR core will allow a good
solution.
The use case is importing Interlis into PostGIS, but also writing Interlis
with multiple geometries in one layer.

Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions