[gdal-dev] Modis MCD45 GeoTiff subsetting offset

Wesley Roberts jwesroberts at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 04:30:52 PDT 2013

Dear gdal-dev

I am currently working with some burnt area (GeoTIFF) data from the
University of Maryland (http://modis-fire.umd.edu/Burned_Area_Products.html).
I have been attempting to subset this data to my study area. Unfortunately
when I subset the GeoTIFF the output is offset in a south easterly
direction by approximately 200m. Below is my command.

gdalwarp -s_srs EPSG:54001 -t_srs EPSG:4326
MCD45monthly.A2009244.Win13.051.ba_qa.tif test.tif

The data are in Plate-Caree projection (lat / lon not meters) and I have
been struggling to figure out how to change this as I believe that this is
the source of my problems. I have tried various approaches using both
EPSG:32662 and EPSG:54001. As well as some suggested on the mailing list.

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Does-GDAL-handle-rotated-spheres-td3763008.html

Unfortunately I am unable to solve the offset problem. I am using the
following version of gdal on an Ubuntu 12.04

GDAL 1.9.1, released 2012/05

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Wesley

--
Dr Wesley Roberts