[gdal-dev] Using the OGR library with FileGDB driver

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 14:27:02 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM, xavier lhomme <lhomme.xavier at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Raster Dataset and Mosaic Dataset are not supported  :
>  See :
> http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/devsummit13/papers/devsummit-170.pdf

Thanks for the tip, Xavier.  The .gdb files I've got have more than just
rasters and mosaics, and the presence of these types doesn't prevent the
FileGDB driver from working on the rest of the database (fortunately).
 Also, I have some others that don't have rasters or mosaics and still
don't load in.  However, at least part of the problem is due to unsupported
features like you suggest.

In trying to debug this, I remembered to set CPL_DEBUG=ON to watch the
messages out of ogrinfo and I'm seeing that my various datasets downloaded
from the web.

I'm seeing two kinds:

1. "Invalid function arguments"
FGDB: Error opening \CONUS_public_datasets\CONUS_Public_Metadata. Skipping
it (Invalid function arguments.)
FGDB: Error opening \CONUS_public_datasets\CONUS_Public_Historic_Map_Info.
Skipping it (Invalid function arguments.)
FGDB: Error opening \CONUS_wetlands\CONUS_wet_poly. Skipping it (Invalid
function arguments.)

2. "FileGDB compression is not installed"
FGDB: Error opening \King_SF1_00006mod. Skipping it (FileGDB compression is
notinstalled.)
FGDB: Error opening \King_SF1_00005. Skipping it (FileGDB compression is
not installed.)
FGDB: Error opening \King_SF1_00002. Skipping it (FileGDB compression is
not installed.)

I have read somewhere online that compression is not supported by the
FileGDB_API toolkit so there's apparently nothing more I can do about that.

The other is more puzzling and I have actually just duplicated it problem
by editing one of the sample programs distributed with the FileGDB_API
called Querying.  When a .gdb contains "Feature Datasets" containing
"Feature Classes," they sometimes fail to open with this "Invalid function
arguments" error, the meaning of which I don't understand.

On the other hand, I have another .gdb with this same layout that works
fine.  I will post one of the non-working examples as Even suggested.

Again, if anyone has any bright ideas, I'd be very grateful.  Thanks,

carl