[gdal-dev] Wrapping with SWIG

Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) jaak at nutiteq.com
Thu Jun 6 12:50:57 PDT 2013

On 22.05.2013, at 10:20, Even Rouault wrote:

> Le vendredi 17 mai 2013 09:38:31, Hank Finley a écrit :
>> Hi Tamas,
>>
>> thanks for the advice, I would still like to continue with my goal, down
>> the track I'm going to be using this to fuel my OpenGL graphical map. The
>> SQL API level was far too slow, so I am going to the C API level.
>>
>> Is it possible to contact Even somehow?
>
> Done now ;-)
>
> I'm afraid that your goal - as far as I've understood it - is not achievable.
> You will have to use the SQLite API at some point since Spatialite is "no
> more" than a set of C functions (and triggers) that can do
> serialization/deserialization of geometry blobs, spatial operations, etc...
> But you have to access the SQLite database through the SQL SQLite API.

It is my understanding also that even if Spatialite has C API, then it is more for internal things, and you area supposed to use SQL API instead. It might be possible to generate wrapper for C functions and datatypes also, but it would be pain with not much gain. Swig is no good for any more complex datatypes, you'd need to manually redefine them. I would suggest to use Java stuff instead, like JTS, and SQL wrappers for gaiageo functions.

This reminds me that I patched (more like hotfixed) GDAL Java Swig wrapper to get it to run on Android. I found one snag, now reported with the fix as http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5107, it seems to be unfixed in the latest version. Review/comments are welcome, as this is my first and only Swig adventure.

Jaak