[gdal-dev] geographic vs projected coordinate system

adi_khan adiba.nizami at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 23:37:51 PDT 2013

Hi all,
I am a novice to geospatialrelated terminology...and going through some
literature to understand better..
Could someone please tell difference btwn geographic and projected
coordinate system...
I mean, I am not able to imagine how I can  see an (satellite) image on
screen ( flat surface) and say it is in geographic cordinate system (GCS)...
as GCS means lat/long and I see it on a flat screen, so should it not be
projected if I am seeing it on a flat screen? And if it is projected, then
how can it be in GCS ?

My doubt, perhaps , may sound very trivial for all the experts out there but
I will really appreciate anything that will aid my understanding.

Thanks.