[gdal-dev] GDAL formats list order

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at princeton-ma.us
Sat Jun 15 04:09:15 PDT 2013

Hi Jorge

"Arbitrariness is a term given to choices and actions
subject to individual will, judgment or preference, based
solely upon an individual's opinion or discretion."
Wikipedia

That's sounds about right.

There are several different cases and reason for a driver
be moved up or down on that list. For example, if a
format is not safely identified, if it doesn't have a MIME
header, and if we have cases where it catches somebody
else files, we move it down on the list.

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GDAL20Changes that
GDAL formats, when calling gdalinfo --formats, "are
returned in a meaningful order - the order they are tried -
which is important to know sometimes".

>  I see at
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/tags/1.10.0/gdal/frmts/
gdalallregister.cpp several calls to GDALRegister_X, in
what looks like an arbitrary order to me. Seems to have
"groups". Apart from that, older drivers first?

(http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig)