[gdal-dev] OGR distance different than in ArcGIS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 6 15:54:16 PST 2013

Uli,

You might want to elaborate on in what ways the results differ.  Perhaps
for a concrete example pair of geometries.  The GDAL/OGR Distance is going
to give planar distance in "decimal degrees" if everything is in geographic
coordinates without regard to ellipsoidal geometries.  I suspect the ArcGIS
algorithm is actually giving a distance in meters - possibly for the great
circle path from the closest points.  If that is what you need, a different
approach will be needed.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com