[gdal-dev] OGR distance different than in ArcGIS

Hare, Trent thare at usgs.gov
Wed Mar 6 16:51:56 PST 2013

Uli,
   Unless your neighbors are very localized (in an undistorted projection),
I would recommend using some geodesic methods (in ArcMap or OGR).

For ArcMap, you can beat this free add-on (Tools for Graphics and Shapes)
which does geodesic lengths, areas, and azimuths no matter the input
projection:
http://www.jennessent.com/arcgis/shapes_graphics.htm (very
good documentation)

For OGR, I would recommend running the lat/lon pairs through or Haversine
or Vincenty's equations.
examples:
Haversine:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11703407/how-to-calculate-distance-between-points-on-python-side-of-my-appplication-in-wa