[gdal-dev] Empty region after projecting GeoTIFF from 4326 to 102113

Jason Greenlaw - NOAA Affiliate jason.greenlaw at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 7 14:11:29 PST 2013

I have an RGBA GeoTIFF in EPSG:4326 with an extent that wraps the 180
decimal degree international dateline (western extent: 74.2 dd, eastern
extent: 433.8 dd).

When I attempt to project this image to either EPSG:102113 (as defined in
$GDAL_DATA/esri_extra.wkt) or a very similar custom mercator projection, it
results in a large empty region at the seam of the original raster (around
74 degrees east).  The projected result looks fine other than this empty
area (it normalizes the image so that its origin is at the dateline, which
is good).

Although a small seam is expected since there is no data from 73.8E to
74.2E, the missing region is much larger than anticipated.

Does anyone have any insight into why this is occurring or how to rectify
it?

The command I am using to perform the reprojection is:

    gdalwarp -s_srs EPSG:4326 -t_srs EPSG:102113 -r bilinear -co
COMPRESS=LZW -co TILED=yes rtofs-gcs.tif rtofs-102113.tif

The original EPSG:4326 GeoTIFF and world file can be found at:

http://jgreenlaw.org/gdal/rtofs-gcs.tif
http://jgreenlaw.org/gdal/rtofs-gcs.wld

The reprojected EPSG:102113 GeoTIFF can be found at:

http://jgreenlaw.org/gdal/rtofs-102113.tif

Thanks
Jason