[gdal-dev] What is the format of a .prf file?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 08:01:47 PDT 2013

Hi

I'm using gdalward in a script as follow, which works fine:

  FN=THERASTERLAYER
  gdalwarp -s_srs epsg:4148 \
           -t_srs "+proj=aea \
                   +lat_1=-28.25
                   +lat_2=-29.75 \
                   +lat_0=-29 \
                   +lon_0=30.75 \
                   +x_0=0  \
                   +y_0=0  \
                   +datum=WGS84 \
                   +units=m  \
                   +no_defs" \
            -dstnodata -9999 \
           $FN \
           $FN.gtif

What I don't like is that I have to specify t_srs in such a long way. It states that t_srs can be
"a .prf file containing well known text", but I can't figure out what a .pdf file is. Would for
exmple work, if I put

  +proj=aea
  +lat_1=-28.25
  +lat_2=-29.75
  +lat_0=-29
  +lon_0=30.75
  +x_0=0
  +y_0=0
  +datum=WGS84
  +units=m
  +no_defs

in t.prf and refer to it in gdalward as "-t_sts t.prf"?

Are there any examples available for prf files and allowed formats?

Thanks,

Rainer

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44