[gdal-dev] Postgis Raster out-db support

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Mar 22 10:05:47 PDT 2013

On 22 March 2013 14:19, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/3/22 Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net>:
>> I'd say, PostGIS Raster may store in tiles, if you wish so, but tiles are
>> just one of possible schemes.
>
> Thanks for the hints to the tickets/issues.
> You're right. But usually you will want to tile your raster.

If usually or often or sporadically, that is a matter of a different discussion
and as a proof that things may not be as obvious as they seem,
you may search postgis-devel for discussions I had with other
developers of PostGIS
Raster where I argue that tiling (specifically, regular grid tiling)
is common use case, they argue it is not.

Second, "to tile your raster" is not very precise.
In PostGIS Raster you have infinite schemes of tiling: regular blocking
or your own, where the latter may be regular, irregular, with or w/o
overlapped tiles, etc.

> AFAIK the maximum width x height permitted in PostGIS Raster is 65535 x 65535.

Yes, and you can have, for instance, three rows:
1 with 65535x65535 raster
1 with 32767x32767 raster
1 with 1x1 raster