[gdal-dev] Anyone interested in mentoring my project?

Jorge Arévalo jorgearevalo at libregis.org
Wed May 1 07:52:16 PDT 2013

Hello Even,

First of all, many thanks for your thoughts and references. I need experts' point of view.

El miércoles 1 de mayo de 2013 a las 12:45, Even Rouault escribió:

> Le mardi 30 avril 2013 21:55:05, Jorge Arévalo a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've applied as student to Google Summer of Code, with this project
> > (GDAL/OGR on the web):
> > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/jorgear
> > evalo/10002
> >
> > The project has no assigned mentor on the ideas page
> > (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SummerOfCode). So, is anyone interested
> > in mentoring it?
>

> Hi Jorge,
>
> (Not applying myself as a mentor for now. Just a few thoughts)
>
> I skimmed through your proposal and was wondering if there's not an overlap
> with what is provided by the OGC WPS standard. Did you consider this ?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Processing_Service will lead you to the
> standard, exiting WPS server implementations, client-side javascript
> frameworks, etc...

Yes, the idea is very similar. But while WPS focuses on standardization and interoperability (OGC style), I'd like to focus on user's experience. Fast & beauty, even if not standard. The concept under products like Mapbox or CartoDB.

> Some aspects of your proposal (particularly about uploading data, etc...) made
> me also remind of the OpenAerialMap effort ( http://openaerialmap.org/Main_Page
> ), but it is currently stalled. I believe the main issue was storage
> capability and bandwidth price, but the mailing list seem no longer reachable.

Really interesting. I'll have a look. Many thanks for that too.

> Even

Best regards,
Jorge