[gdal-dev] Issues with WFS driver

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Sat May 25 01:32:16 PDT 2013

On 05/21/2013 12:59 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> This is perhaps due to the WFS/GML driver running in streaming mode
> now. It uses the schema to be able to decode the GetFeature XML
> on-the-fly. Previously it downloaded the whole file in memory and
> could analyze its structure without relying on the XML schema
> (although I believe that if the schema was available, it was used, so
> I'm not completely sure that's the explanation). You can probably
> revert to the old behaviour by setting the environmenent variable
> OGR_WFS_USE_STREAMING to NO.

Another thing related to streaming mode.

I was wondering why the geometries the WFS were not being parsed by the
client. It turns out that GDAL uses the tag "geometryProperty" by
default (ogrgmllayer.cpp:601). The WFS I have uses the field name from
PostGIS when replying to the DescribeFeatureType request. So I need to
add a hack to the server to always use the "geometryProperty" tag.

This seems to be a small deficiency in GDAL; that it doesn't have the
concept of a field name for geometries. This may limit the usability of
GDAL as a component of a WFS.

Ari