[gdal-dev] Using/citing GDAL documentation

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 16 13:51:50 PST 2013

Hi Nick:

My package (gdalUtils) are just straight-wrappers for the GDAL Utilities (
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_utilities.html) -- I've got most of the non-python
ones finished.  rgdal contain low-level bindings to GDAL and Python (
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rgdal/index.html), but are missing
quite a few functions that the GDAL Utilities contain.  On top of that,
rgdal uses a compiled version of some of the GDAL libraries that is missing
quite a bit of functionality, particularly on Windows boxes -- most
notably, HDF4/5 support.  My package does not contain a GDAL install, it
searches for one that a user installed themselves (typically via
OSGeo4W/QGIS), so provides more flexibility in variations in GDAL
installations.

rgdal and gdalUtils are complementary packages, mind you.  rgdal is used
quite a bit by other packages for providing various raster functionality.
 I'm simply filling in some of the gaps in rgdal's capabilities.

--j