[gdal-dev] RFC 44: JSON/XML output for ogrinfo/gdalinfo

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 19 10:44:55 PST 2013

Howard,

I was a bit surprised that the RFC doesn't actually define the format.  I
gather we are supposed to deduce it from the modified ogrinfo code?

On the GDAL side, rather than have gdalinfo support some secondary
reporting format, I *feel* it would be better to just have a method on a
dataset to provide a summary report somewhat similar to what gdalinfo would
give.  In XML this would essentially be what you would get from doing a
"gdal_translate -of VRT abc.tif abc.vrt ".

I must confess there isn't such a clean analog on the ogrinfo side, and if
you want to also capture feature data written out by ogrinfo it gets
someone more complicated.

Skimming the (json missing) example ogrinfo it seems like a lot of work -
particularly to maintain in a way that will keep all output formats in
line.

I started out supportive, but the more I think about the approach the less
keen I am.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com