[gdal-dev] Can GDAL access ARCGIS REST services?

Moskovitz, Bob@DOC Bob.Moskovitz at conservation.ca.gov
Wed Nov 20 10:58:29 PST 2013

Hello all,

At one time, I was able to view NAIP imagery using WMS, but it appears that I can only access it using ARCGIS REST services.   According to http://www.northrivergeographic.com/qgis-adding-an-arcgis-rest-service, I tried something like this:

C:\>gdal_translate --debug on "http://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/rest/services/NAIP/California_2012_1m_NC/ImageServer?f=json&pretty=true" c:\temp\NAIP2012.xml -of WMS
HTTP: Fetch(http://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/rest/services/NAIP/California_2012_1m_NC/ImageServer?f=json&pretty=true)
ERROR 4: `/vsimem/http_1/file.dat' not recognised as a supported file format.

ERROR 4: `/tmp/file.dat' not recognised as a supported file format.

GDALOpen failed - 4
`/tmp/file.dat' not recognised as a supported file format.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to access this web service?

Thanks!

Robert Moskovitz
California Geological Survey
Seismic Hazards Zonation Program

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message contains information from the State of California, California Geological Survey, which may be privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.