[gdal-dev] Does 64 bit gdal support deflate compression in geotiffs?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Oct 8 07:26:04 PDT 2013

Selon David Strip <gdal at stripfamily.net>:

> The new 64 bit release of qgis (2.0.1 Dufur) fails when trying to load
> deflate compressed geotiffs. Further testing reveals that the bundled
> gdal utilities suffer the same problem. The version lists as 1.10.0,
> released 2013/04/24. No idea how it was built - this is a download of
> the pre-compiled Win7 qgis release. Before digging any deeper, I thought
> I'd ask if the 64bit version of gdal is supposed to support deflate. The
> 32 bit version does (that's how I compressed the files in the first place).

David,

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/autotest/gcore/tiff_write.py has a test
"tiff_write_6" that generates a deflate compressed geotiff and reads it, and it
passes on the gisinternals binaries, including 64 bit builds ( e.g.
http://gisinternals.com/sdk/BuildLog.aspx?id=vc8x64-dev ), and I'm pretty sure
that there are quite a lof of places elsewhere in the autotest suite where
deflate compression is used, so it might indeed be an issue with the particular
build (OSGeo4W-64 ?) used by QGIS. Or perhaps you are triggering a particular
issue not triggered by the autotest suite...

You could try downloading
http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/1.10.0/gdalautotest-1.10.0.zip and check it
gcore/tiff_write.py and gcore/tiff_read.py pass.

Even