[gdal-dev] Buffer unit

Federico Jurio federicojurio at suremptec.com.ar
Wed Oct 9 07:33:43 PDT 2013

Dear all, I am using WGS84 (4326) and would like to buffer based on meters
and not degrees. I have two possible solutions

1) One minute of Latitude = 1852 Meters
So one degree = 60 * 1852 meters = 111,120 meters
2) Project the center to something in meters or feet. Buffer that point.
Project the resulting polygon in to WGS84.

The first one is the easy way and i'm sure that the accuracy isn't the best.
The second probable doesn't have the best performance.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Regards