[gdal-dev] Setting the georeferencing priority for GDAL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Oct 27 09:32:59 PDT 2013

Jukka,

Part of why behavior is inconsistent now is that the logic is in each
driver.  Some might give precidence to a world file over something
internal, or to .aux.xml.

I think it would be *desirable* for .aux.xml to take precedence over
internal information
 when it is available as it is normally only in the .aux.xml file because
it was updated or accurate information could not be written within the file
itself.

I'm not sure how we would go about updating all drivers to have consistent
behavior.  I do like the idea that drivers can control this.  I just think
it would be good to have a suggested behavior we aim for.

I'm not too keen on a configuration option as those are always a sort of
hack, though it is possible.

I will note you can always "gdal_translate" to VRT and then hand edit or
alter it with gdal_edit.py to get a wrapped dataset with the desired
georeferencing and other metadata.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com