[gdal-dev] GPKG Driver

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Sun Oct 27 14:10:08 PDT 2013

Hey all,

I'm preparing to do up a GeoPkg driver. In searching the mail history
and the web, the only references I see so far are suggestions as a
summer of code project (which weren't taken up?) which included the
recommendation of wrapping it into the existing sqlite driver.

Couple questions:

- Did anything happen on the summer of code suggestion, or any other
independent development front?

- On the "wrap it into the existing driver" recommendation, how strong
is that? If am doing the driver, I'm loath to try and wrap it in,
particularly since the current SQLite driver already includes so much
optionality and different behaviour. My last experience trying that
kind of thing, on a much simpler driver in PDAL (trying to add
pgpointcloud support into a generic soci oracle/pg driver) resulted in
a lot of time spent and eventually writing a new native driver that
was vastly easier to write and understand. Which is a long, whiny way
of saying: I'd like to implement GPKG as a separate driver, not as
part of SQLite, if that's acceptable (or, not completely
unacceptable).

Thanks!

Paul