[gdal-dev] Satellite projections

Reinoud Bokhorst reinoud.bokhorst at bmtargoss.com
Mon Oct 28 08:55:27 PDT 2013

Dear Jerl, Simon,
Apologize for mixing into this thread but I am currently investigating
how to process EUMETCAST data to more usuable formats like NetCDF and
GeoTIFF.  The data stream contains MSG HRIT data and GOES15/17 + MTSAT2
LRIT data. I'll also need to reproject like you do so this post already
proves useful!

I can read the MSG data trough gdal/meteosatlib but I can't read the
GOES and MTSAT2 LRIT data yet. Do you perhaps have some useful pointers
to software to use? Online documentation is rather scarce...

Thanks Reinoud

On 10/28/2013 04:41 PM, Jerl Simpson wrote:
> Thanks Simon!
>
> I'll give it a shot.  Meteosat is definitely a pain, and it's one of
> the satellites I'm working with.
>
> If you don't mind me asking, what do you typically have in your
> -a_ullr designation for gdal_translate?  Or are you pulling out
> sections and it varies?  I'd like to get the full image, if possible.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Jerl
>

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Simon Richard Proud <srp at geo.ku.dk
> <mailto:srp at geo.ku.dk>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Jerl,
>     We work with Meteosat data in full disk projection and it's a bit
>     of a headache! Try these commands in GDAL and see if they work for
>     you:
>
>     gdal_translate -a_srs  "+proj=geos +a=6378169 +b=6356583.8
>     +lon_0=9.49 +h=35785831" -a_ullr
>     $up_left_x $up_left_y $low_rig_x $low_rig_y $INFILE $TEMPFILE
>     gdalwarp -s_srs '+proj=geos +lon_0=9.49 +h=35785831 +x_0=0.0'
>     -t_srs '+proj=latlong +datum=WGS84' -tr 0.01 0.01 -te 0 20  70 70
>     -order 3 $TEMPFILE $OUTFILE
>
>     Just remember to change the +lon_0 to whatever you need for GOES.
>     Also change the -tr and -te for gdal :-) You can also add +lat_0
>     but to be honest I never found it made a difference (perhaps it is
>     ignored?)
>
>     Cheers,
>     Simon

>     *Fra:* gdal-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
>     <mailto:gdal-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org>
>     [gdal-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org

Reinoud Bokhorst
Advisor Oceanography & ICT
BMT ARGOSS

Tel.:         +31 527-242299
Direct:     +31 527-656421
Mobile:    +31 6-54714427

www.bmt.org/linkedin | www.twitter.com/bmtgroup | www.facebook.com/bmtgroup | www.youtube.com/bmtgroupltd

BMT ARGOSS b.v., Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT, Marknesse, The Netherlands

(Postal address : PO Box 61, 8325 ZH, Vollenhove, The Netherlands)

Registered in The Netherlands, Registered no. 39060160.

Unless otherwise agreed by BMT ARGOSS in writing, all  work, services, goods or products supplied by BMT ARGOSS shall be subject to and governed by BMT ARGOSS's own terms and conditions which are available for inspection from BMT ARGOSS on request.

E-mail confidentiality notice and disclaimer:

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you are not allowed to read it, to take any action based upon it or to copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you should please delete it from your system. BMT ARGOSS does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor accept liability for statements which are those of the author and clearly not made on behalf of BMT ARGOSS.

Please consider the environmental impacts of printing this email, and only do so if really necessary