[gdal-dev] GME driver for OGR

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Tue Oct 29 14:25:31 PDT 2013

Even,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
>> I'm thinking that there is rarely any reason to separate the
>> connections, except if, maybe we'd like to support multiple accounts,
>> so that you can get table A using account A, and table B with account
>> B. But then again why don't you simply give access to A for both
>> tables? The way I see it we only need a single connection since the
>> API is RESTful.
>
> That makes sense. I don't think that there is a real use case with connecting 2
> different accounts within the same OGR process. But if you share connection
> between data sources, you should make sure that the sharing at the driver level
> is thread-safe (mutex, etc...) since it is valid for 2 OGRDataSource of the same
> driver to be used in parallel in different threads.

Aha! Thanks for the warning. :) This makes me think that it's not
worth it. Debugging multithreadded apps is a pain XD
I might make it into a separate OGRGMEHttp class or similar instead.
I'm mainly interested in code encapsulation and re-use, but at some
point it might be interesting to have the ability to query multiple
layers in GME in parallel. But I'll leave that as a backlog item for
the future.

>> Yeah, something like that, can't get into specifics at this point. I
>> hope we'll announce it soon, though. Again I want to prepare for
>> what's coming,and looking for some advice on best practices. I hope to
>> avoid realizing in 2 months that I need to refactor the
>> OGRGMEDatasource fully, but otoh that's not going to be the end of the
>> world, if I have to do it that way.
>
> OK. Well you're probably the one with the best vision of what can be shared ;-)

XD ;) yeah. I'll bring it up when I can. Thanks for the feedback on this so far!

--Wolf