[gdal-dev] problems building GDAL trunk on MAC OS X

Ivan Lucena lucena_ivan at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 6 05:04:38 PDT 2013

Hi there,

After a long time since my last svn update from the trunk on that machine, now I am getting this error:

Undefined symbols:
  "_environ", referenced from:
      _CPLSpawnAsync in cpl_spawn.o
      _CPLSpawnAsync in cpl_spawn.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libgdal.la] Error 1
make[2]: *** [check-lib] Error 2
make[1]: *** [.build-conf] Error 2
make: *** [.build-impl] Error 2

My configure is a simple as that:

./configure --with-macosx-framework

Environment versions:

$ gcc
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1

$ uname -a
Darwin ***.***.*** 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun  7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

That problem seems to be related to latest client/server stuff.

Looking at the code on cpl_spawn.c it seems like a simple problem.

#ifdef HAVE_POSIX_SPAWNP
    #include <spawn.h>
    #ifdef __APPLE__
        #include <TargetConditionals.h>
    #endif
    #if defined(__APPLE__) && !defined(TARGET_OS_IPHONE)
        #include <crt_externs.h>
        #define environ (*_NSGetEnviron())
    #else
        extern char** environ;
    #endif
#endif

I tried to play with those -D variables on configure but it only got worse.

It is a old machine so maybe I am the only one having that problem. I should just updated something. That's all.

But if someone got into to that and know how to solve it, please let me know. I will appreciate.

Best regards,

Ivan