[gdal-dev] GDAL DLL and plugin with mixed compiler versions

David Szlucha David.Szlucha at exelisvis.com
Fri Sep 6 10:54:33 PDT 2013

I have a GDAL plugin that is built with VS 2005 SP1 that I'm trying to
use with a GDAL 1.8 DLL that was built with VS 2008. I cannot rebuild
the GDAL 1.8 DLL as it is provided by a different vendor/application.

I've found that the GDAL utilities crash when they are exiting (as well
as some functionality in the vendor/application that our plugin was
built for) in Windows 7. This does not seem to be a problem in Windows
XP.

I have limited information in the debugger but I suspect the issue might
be in the GDAL driver manager deconstructor as I have created a "dummy"
GDAL plugin that simply registers itself as a plugin and does nothing
else and exhibits the same crash.

After some internet searching it looks as if this problem has occurred
with other GDAL plugins and the solution was to rebuild the plugin using
the same compiler that built the GDAL DLL.

Since my project consists of several other DLLs that I can't readily be
updated to VS 2008 I'm wondering if anyone has come across this issue in
their own plugins and may have attempted to fix the issue with mixed
compiler versions?

Thanks!

David