[gdal-dev] SQLite write and read only access modes

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Sep 13 04:36:17 PDT 2013

Hi,

I was reading a new message from Sandro Furieri
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/spatialite-users/Eq2BXc8Bw2I/69Mu2Dxl5qsJ
and it made me think if GDAL is already doing what is suggested:

"writer" process is strictly required to execute the
following PRAGMA before starting any write operation:
PRAGMA journal_mode=WAL;"

If this is the case then I think that applications like Mapserver could be
made to create READ-ONLY connection to SQLite/Spatialite db. That would make
it possible to keep Mapserver running while doing some db maintaining with
GDAL. That might be useful sometimes and I do not see how it would make any
harm ever.

-Jukka Rahkonen-