[gdal-dev] jpeg, tiff, IPP 8.0 and suspended I/O.

Tomaka, Jacek Jacek.Tomaka at intergraph.com
Sun Sep 22 22:21:20 PDT 2013

Hi,
Recently I tried to compile GDAL 1.10 with libjpeg + IPP 8.0.
I compiled IPP powered jpeglib 6b (taken from old IPP 7.0 samples, as IPP 8.0 examples contain version 8b).
I run into several issues, after some investigation it turned out that different issues appear depending on the configuration of libjpeg library.
1. When libjpeg.IPP  is compiled with IPP_SUSPENS defined then JPEG decoding does not work. i.e. gdal_translate from jpeg to tiff produces strange image.
       JPEG encoded TIFFs were all right in this configuration.
2. When libjpeg.IPP is compiled with IPP_SUSPENS not defined then JPEG encoded TIFFs decoding produces warning "Warning 1: JPEGLib:Premature end of JPEG file".
       JPEG decoding is fine in this configuration. Strangely enough, the decoded images (JPEG encoded TIFFS) seem to be correct in this case, despite the warning.

 Note, I confirmed that IPPJ_HUFF is defined during jpeg, and gtiff formats compilation. If I don't define it I got the same warning but in greater abundance.

Is there something obvious for You that I am missing? I read http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/JpegIPP but it turns a blind eye on libjpeg configuration.
I also tried to compile GDAL with jpeglib 8b but with no luck. Is this version supported?
Is GDAL taking advantage of suspended I/O?

Another issue is that when IPP is doing IDCT when decoding jpegs, autotests fail as it gives different checksums.
Should I open a ticket for it?

Has anyone had success making jpegs and tiffs compiled against jpeglib + IPP work?

Regards.
Jacek Tomaka
Software Engineer
Security Government & Infrastructure
T: +618 9217 3427
E: jacek.tomaka at intergraph.com

Intergraph Corporation Pty Ltd
2 Abbotsford Street,
West Leederville, Australia 6007
intergraph.com | LinkedIn | FaceBook | Twitter

Intergraph is part of HEXAGON