[gdal-dev] Considerations around WFS layer and ArcGIS REST API Connector Plugin

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 03:17:16 PDT 2014

Hi Devs,

Tobias and I are working on the "ArcGIS REST API Connector Plugin" which
reads WFS- and WMTS-alike services (called Feature Service and Map Service)
from ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Server 10.x. Let's call this a connection of
type "ArcGIS Layer", which creates a vector layer (in memory).

1. When entering a new WFS Layer connection and loading it as a new project
layer, I know that the WFS URL is stored in the project file - and Username
and Password (as hash?) also are stored there, right?

2. WFS can be deliver huge number of features. A WFS layer obviously reads
all(!) features into memory when loading first time. Should'nt be there a
limit "Max. no. features" per connection in the WFS connection (and in
ours) in order to prevent memory overflow? (if this is considered a hack, a
local indexed cache file would become necessary...).

3. Since WFS is a service, it can be updated anytime and the WFS layer in
QGIS becomes outdated.Should'nt be there a "Refresh" button in the WFS
layer (and in ours)?

4. How can the QGIS project file be extended in order to a) store
additional parameters - like this "Max. no. features" - per layer. And b):
how can an own connection type - like ArcGIS Layer - be added to the
project file, so that QGIS calls our plugin, when the project/layer is
(re-)loaded?

5. WFS "only" supports basic authentication. How about NTLM [2] and OAuth?

Yours,
Stefan

[1] http://giswiki.hsr.ch/QGIS_ArcGIS_REST_API_Connector_Plugin
[2] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTLM