[gdal-dev] Build GDAL from scratch on CentOS 6.5

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Aug 15 13:45:33 PDT 2014

Selon Jake Brinkmann <jakebrinkmann at gmail.com>:

> Hello all geospatial-web-wizards,
>
> I am struggling pretty hard building the GDAL libraries and all the
> countless dependencies from source in CentOS6.5. I do not have root access
> on my machine, but I need the GDAL (as well as HDF, GeoTiff, GEOS, etc.)
> libraries for performing image processing using the Terra/Aqua MODIS
> satellite remote sensing data.
> Does anyone out there have experience building GDAL along with HDF and
> Python bindings, but without, and I emphasize here: *without* root access?
> Alternatively, if possible, I would be willing to install a binary, but
> remember: I do not have root access (so I'm not sure this would work...)
> and lack experience with *.rpm files
>
> Let me know, please, if anyone has any ideas at all.
> I am really wishing the Anaconda Python distribution would come with GDAL
> supporting HDF4, but it currently does not...
>
> Thanks for reading, and any help you can provide,

Jake,

It is always possible to build without root access.
The scheme is :
1) Download HDF4 sources, untar, cd to the source directory
2) ./configure --prefix=/somewhere/where/you/have/write/access
3) make install
4) Download GDAL sources, untar, cd to the source directory
5) ./configure --prefix=/somewhere/where/you/have/write/access
--with-hdf4=/somewhere/where/you/have/write/access
6) make install
7) cd swig/python
8) python setup.py build
9) export PYTHONPATH=$PWD/build/lib.linuxXXXXXXXX (to be adapted depending on
your architecture and Python version)
10) export PATH=/somewhere/where/you/have/write/access/bin:$PATH
11) export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/somewhere/where/you/have/write/access/lib

You should be done.

Even