[gdal-dev] libkml support issues

Robert Zermeno refriguy68 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 17:46:10 PDT 2014

GDAL folks,

I am trying to support kml support via libkml library in MSVC2008 environment (Windows 32-bit environment on Windows 7).  I have downloaded the repository version as stated in the gdal webpage, built a static library of each required libkml component, and updated nmake.opt to build the libkml support.

Everything worked fine and in my shell program I have a simple API call to verify GDAL can read kml products:

'GDALOpenEx(kmlFile.c_str(), GDAL_OF_VECTOR, NULL, NULL, NULL);'

Now, I keep getting a Access violation reading error in "xmlchar_to_utf8()" in expat_handler.h file in kmlbase.

Has anyone experienced this issue lately?  Which version of expat should I link against?
In the nmake.opt do I uncomment the component to link Expat for libkml support or is that only used for internal KML driver?

I am trying to figure out if I have a libkml issue?  I downloaded the repository at "http://libkml.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/"

Is that the right location to get version 1.3?

Thanks in advance,

Robert