[gdal-dev] RFC 47 and Threading

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 09:27:41 PDT 2014

Blake,

With a 2 week old baby, my brain has been soggy.

I do see the 3 threads here:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2014-August/thread.html

The asan/msan/tsan tools are

asan - address sanitizer - https://code.google.com/p/address-sanitizer/
msan - memory sanitizer - https://code.google.com/p/memory-sanitizer/
tsan - thread sanitizer - https://code.google.com/p/thread-sanitizer/

http://llvm.org/devmtg/2012-11/Serebryany-ASAN-TSAN-Poster.pdf
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2012-11/Serebryany_TSan-MSan.pdf
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2013-11/slides/Serebryany-ASAN.pdf

I've been writing C++ tests for gdal/ports for the last year that use
Google's gunit test framework and running the sanitizers on it.  I've got
it high on my todo list to get the tests that I've written pushed to github
in Sept.  It's taken me a lot longer to get done than I expected because of
some internal changes to the CSV file handling (that I've never really
figured out) between 1.10.0 and 1.11.0.  I was hoping to have the tests
working with 1.11.0 before I push them out to the world.  And I need to
create an RFC to get discussion on if / how to put the new test setup into
gdal or refactor the whole deal to be a useful addition to gdal.

I haven't gotten the testing up to a level that would likely be useful to
you, but I can try in a couple weeks when I'm back to normal work.

-kurt

http://schwehr.org