[gdal-dev] Writing linestring and getting back linestring25

mccorb mccorb at cox.net
Mon Aug 25 11:35:34 PDT 2014

I am creating a new sqlite file and writing a new layer and feature. When i
write a linestring to the file everything works fine. I look at it in an
SQLite browser app and the geometry_type is 2. However when I reopen it I
get a linestring25d geometry type.

>From what I can tell I can use this exactly the same way as a linestring
feature and just ignore the Z coordinate. Is this correct?

I am confused why the file I created shows the geometry_type in the file as
linestring (via the sqlite file browser I am using to inspect the tables
directly) but I get back a linestring25d. I then I open up another file
someone gave me and it also shows the type as a linestring and it returns a
linestring and not linestring25d which makes me suspect it is something I am
doing when I write the data as opposed to reading it.

I would like to better understand this and, if possible, have a little
better control over it than what I know how to do right now. Perhaps some
option on the file open or layer create that can coerce a linestring to stay
a linestring.

I haven't tested but I would be pretty sure that I would end up with the
same results for points and polygons also. I just happened to test the
liniestring first.

thanks