[gdal-dev] GDAL Image Viewer supporting extensions

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Dec 3 08:02:45 PST 2014

Le mercredi 03 décembre 2014 16:16:02, Ledoux, Bruno a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> We have developed a Gdal plug-in that supports our proprietary image file
> format. We would now like to use a standard visualizer build on Gdal to
> view our images with minimum development effort. From what I have read
> about geotools there is a substantial amount of code to write in order to
> integrate a new format. Are there any other visualization libraries or
> tools that would do this natively without any development ?

Bruno,

Not sure why you mention Geotools, which is a completely different technical
code base.
Anyway for GDAL, once your driver is developed, using a GUI that relies on
GDAL to display your format should be pretty easy. For example you can use
QGIS. You just have to make sure to compile against the headers of the GDAL
version used by QGIS, and then add your plugin shared object in the path
searched by GDAL_DRIVER_PATH. This is how OSGeo4W works for the proprietary
formats (ECW, MrSID, etc...)
On Linux, you can also completely substitute the GDAL shared object used by
QGIS with your own, by tweaking LD_LIBRARY_PATH and doing the right symbolic
links (e.g "ln -s libgdal.so libgdal.so.X.Y.Z" where X.Y.Z is the version
expected by QGIS)
Same applies for OpenEV, but the latter is probably a bit more difficult to
build now.

Best regards,

Even