[gdal-dev] VICAR format

K.-Michael Aye kmichael.aye at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 14:13:40 PST 2014

  I’m not sure now if this image (‘N1467346388_2_CALIB.IMG’) is actually a VICAR image.
The unix `file` command recognizes it as a VICAR image:

❯ file N1467346388_2_CALIB.IMG                                                           [3:12:31 PM]
N1467346388_2_CALIB.IMG: VICAR image data

but NASAView’s full label view shows me this:

OBJECT = IMAGE_HEADER<CR><LF>
      INTERCHANGE_FORMAT = ASCII<CR><LF>
      HEADER_TYPE = VICAR2<CR><LF>
      BYTES = 4096<CR><LF>
      RECORDS = 1<CR><LF>
      DESCRIPTION = "Original VICAR2 header, updated by CISSCAL.”<CR><LF>

So this sounds like maybe a previous VICAR image has been converted to a more standard PDS format?
Maybe Trent knows more about this.

Michael

  — Michael Aye
Cassini UVIS and MAVEN IUVS team