[gdal-dev] GDAL GeoPackage raster support

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Dec 10 14:52:33 PST 2014

Hi,

I've committed in GDAL trunk the final pieces of the code needed to support
GeoPackage rasters in read/creation/update modes. Feedback from early testers
would be much appreciated, particularly regarding interoperability with other
software stacks (1), as I could basically only test round-tripping with GDAL.

Documentation can be found at :
http://www.gdal.org/drv_geopackage_raster.html

Small samples generated by GDAL can be found at:
http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/data/geopackage/

This also includes the script that generated them.

Unless I've missed something, we now have support for all of the GeoPackage
specification regarding regarding raster, including its extensions.

On the vector part, the support is also rather complete, with spatial index
and curve geometries added some time ago.
What is missing :
- reading/writing vector layer level metadata. This should now be possible
with the GDAL-OGR unification. Would require an update in ogrinfo to display
such metadata, and in ogr2ogr to define and propagate them.
- use of schema/column constraints in vector layers. We could likely check
that the constraints are met when creating/update a feature, but we don't have
yet the matching concepts in the OGR abstraction to create the constraints
(although this can be done at hand with simple SQL inserts)
- creating the triggers that correspond to the gpkg_geometry_type_trigger and
gpkg_srs_id_trigger extensions (we should already behave OK with them if those
triggers are defined, since we have the support SQL functions)

Best regards,

Even

(1) A report of my experiments with the GeoServer community GeoPackage plugin
: http://sourceforge.net/p/geoserver/mailman/message/33136750/